Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Secret Place - By Glenda Mills

Awakening just before daybreak, I quickly dressed, grabbed my bible and headed for the beach. Our family was experiencing the loss of a precious relationship. The ache in my heart was real, yet a song flooded my mind as I walked toward the shore.

“When peace like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.” Horatio Spafford 

The sound of fluttering wings caught my attention as I stepped under the boardwalk. Looking up I saw a dove resting on the ledge of the crossbeam. Deeply aware of the presence of the Lord, I quickly opened my bible to the scripture that came to mind.

"Oh my dove, in the cleft of the rock, in the secret place of the steep pathway, let me see your form, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your form is lovely." (Song of Songs 2:14 NASB). 

Bible scholars believe the Song of Songs is a picture of Jesus Christ and His Bride. To be known and loved by God in such an intimate way is the greatest joy one can ever know. Psalm 91 also speaks of a secret place. A place seen by One who loves and knows his own... calls us by name... and knows all the details of our lives.

Good Morning Friends! Welcome to our study! Will you join me in prayer?

Father God, we gratefully enter the secret place of the Most High...not because we deserve it, but because of your great mercy and love. I pray you will open our spiritual eyes of understanding and our hearts to receive all that you want to show us through your Word. In the name of Jesus we pray, Amen. 

Here's the outline for our study:
"Sheltered Under His Wings" Psalm 91
1. A Secret Place 
2. A Sheltered Place 
3. A Secure Place 
4. A Place of Peace 
5. A Place of Protection 
6. A Place of Promise

When you read Psalm 91, you may notice it has no title or author....

So who wrote the Book? 
During my time of preparation for this study, I learned that Jewish scholars assign un-named psalms to the writer of the previous psalm. If so, then the author is Moses...yet other scholars believe David wrote it.

Do you think it matters? There is no way to know for sure who the author is and we dare not be dogmatic, but it might just be worth looking a little deeper into the psalm to find clues that might help determine who wrote this most beautiful and comforting Psalm.

What's the story behind the psalm?
 Read through the chapter and look for descriptive words or phrases that describe the author's circumstances. You might also look for cross-references on the side or bottom bar of your Bible that reveal the history and surroundings of the writer.

Why do scholars differ on who wrote the psalm?
 One of my favorite sites for Bible Study skills and commentaries is Study Light. Click here <http://www.studylight.org> and check out C.H. Spurgeon's "The Treasury of David". You might also want to check out the opposing view by Adam Clark.

Question for today: Is it important for you to know who wrote Psalm 91? Why?

Let's talk about it! Please leave a comment below.
That's all for today, friends. Join us next week when Jamie will post: “A Sheltered Place”.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea that Moses may have written this powerful psalm. Just think of the obstacles, trials and frustrations he faced as he led the children of God through the wilderness! And the same holds true if David wrote this one. Many of the psalms were written while he stayed in caves hiding from his enemies. I know I can relate to obstacles, frustrations, trials and the enemy of my soul trying to defeat and destroy me. But what did the author do? He encouraged himself in the Lord! I love that. He reminded himself Who God is and reminded himself of God's many promises, His power and His faithfulness. And...the best part...through his praise, the Father met him, spoke to him and began to comfort him through His love (vs. 14-16) Wow! That is powerful, powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, you are right, we all have obstacles, trials, frustrations, and an enemy who wants to destroy or defeat us. So grateful for the psalms and the encouragement and strength that comes to us when we tarry in the presence of the Lord. Thanks so much for stopping by with your encouraging comments, Nan! Love, Glenda

    ReplyDelete