Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday Friends - Cathy Baker


Cathy Baker
Readers, you're in for a real treat today as you get to learn a little more about my friend, Cathy Baker. Though Cathy and I have never met face-to-face, we immediately knew from our first email that we were kindred spirits. Cathy is an 
encourager by nature, and I really think you're going to enjoy what she has to say. 

Welcome, Cathy!

1.    Tell us a little about your family and growing up years.

My parents divorced when I was 8, but was blessed to have both sets of grandparents nearby. They left an indelible mark on my life. My husband and I have two sons, two amazing daughter-in-laws, one delightful granddaughter, and a grandson soon to be adopted from Uganda. We’re very excited!

2.  When did you know God was calling you to write?

Although I’ve journaled for years, it wasn’t until I visited Edie Melson and Vonda Skelton’s writer’s group almost three years ago that I realized God may have more than journaling in mind for me. That, coupled with confirmation from others, helped me to know I was where God wanted me to be.
 
3.  Who is a person that is making and has made a strong impact on your life, and why?

I would have to say the one person who has made, and continues to make a strong impact on my life is my husband, Brian. He not only allows me to stay home to pursue my love of writing, he encourages me to do so, which requires sacrifice. For this, and countless other reasons, he’s my Hokie hero.

4. What is your life verse?

I don’t have a particular life verse. God’s Word, from Genesis to Revelation, breathes life into this old soul.

5.  Other than Jesus, what Bible hero would you like to talk to?

Good question...and almost impossible to answer, but if I must choose, I’ll say Paul. Oh, the stories he’ll have to tell!

6.  What in depth Bible study would you recommend to my readers?

I would suggest any in-depth study on the Tabernacle. I believe it to be foundational in linking the Old and New Testament with every element grounded in Jesus Christ. I remember studying the Tabernacle through Precept Ministries as a relatively new Christ-follower. It changed my walk forever!

7.  Tell us of how you came to a saving relationship with Christ?

Almost twenty-five years ago, my previous husband left me and two little boys behind. I hit rock bottom. Isn’t that often what it takes? “The” God I’d learned about in Vacation Bible School became “my” God -- Jesus became my personal Lord and Savior.

8.  Please give a word of encouragement and hope to my readers who may be struggling today.

Never, ever, give up. The One residing within us longs to give us wisdom, discernment, freedom, hope, peace, and joy. Receive them. Jesus gave His life that we might experience this kind of life -- this kind of relationship -- with our heavenly Father. 

Cathy lives with her husband in upstate SC and blogs at CathyBaker.org

11 comments:

  1. Loved learning about Cathy. And so agree about Bible studies on the Tabernacle. And meeting Paul.
    And about never giving up! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie! Hi Cathy! What a treat to see you here. ;)

    I've enjoyed getting to know you more Cathy and now you've interested me about that Tabernacle study! ;) Thanks for sharing sister,

    Love, Hester ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hester! I've also enjoyed getting to know you more -- what a blessing :)

      Yes, please let me know if you study the Tabernacle and what you think.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful interview! Thanks for sharing your heart, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Jamie. What great questions to get to know someone. Thanks for sharing, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't Jamie do a great job? No surprise there. :) Thanks for sharing, Ellen!

      Delete
  5. What a joy to get to know you better, Cathy. It's amazing how we can be together for years, but still not know the details of each others' lives. Thank you for sharing. I praise God that He allowed us to become friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the blessing is all mine, Vonda, in calling you friend. :) Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

      Delete
  6. I'm so late with my blog reading, but wanted to catch up with two of my favorite gals! Love seeing you guest post for Jamie, Cathy, and loved your shout out to Hokie Hubby :)

    ReplyDelete