Monday, September 5, 2011

Psalm 23 Study, Week 1

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
(Psalm 23:1 New King James Version)

When we think of a sheperd, what is the first thing that comes to mind? The first thing that enters my mind is a man shepherding his sheep. That's how the Lord is, He's our beloved shepherd. When anyone goes astray, He will search for that lost shepherd and bring him back into the fold. Ladies, whatever is keeping you from the shepherd today, it can never be enough to keep Him from you. We're always held in the palm of His hand, even when we stray. In my own life, I've recognized the role of the shepherd in a tremendous way over this last week. I' was having doubts about doing this study, the enimy was throwing his darts at me. In the midst of all of that, through the shepherd's gentle reminders and the reminders of a dear friend, they kept reminding me that there was someone that needed to be reminded of this Psalm. Sometimes things can become so familiar, it can lose its meaning and the words can lose their power. Let's take comfort that we have a shepherd today. Do you know what the best part is? The shepherd knows us each by name!! He knows us, and He calls us! Not only is He our shepherd, He's our need supplier! The second part of this verse says, "I shall not want." That doesn't mean He'll give us everything we ask for; sometimes His answer may be "No." Let's remember though that when God says "No" to something, He's got something even better waiting for us!

I pray you'll enjoy this study over the next few weeks. If you have questions, fill free to ask. If I don't know the answer, we'll find out together. I'll try to answer in my next post. God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. And God bless you as you lead this study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jamie. When I think of the shepherd, I think of the one who gives everything he has to care for his sheep. He stays out in the pasture with them to protect them from their enemies, he feeds them, comforts them, cares for their injuries. He also leads his sheep to greener pastures when the one they are in will no longer sustain them. I love that the Lord is our Shepherd and that we can trust Him to meet all our needs.

    ReplyDelete