Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Watch What You Say


Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs
16:24

As a writer, I love words. In fiction, I love finding just the right words for my character to use
when they speak to each other.

But one thing I discovered. I wasn't as careful when I chose the words I said to myself. I realized that I said things to myself that I wouldn’t allow even the most evil character use. And that negative self-talk was having a huge negative affect on me. Unfortunately, I was beginning to believe the things I said to myself,and it was pulling me under.

Maybe you do the same thing.

     “I’m so stupid.” 
     “I should just quit, I’ll never amount to anything.”
     “I’m ugly.”
     “I don’t know why anyone would want to hang out with me.”
     “I can’t do anything right.”

Statistics tell us that when we speak negative things to someone close to us, it takes anywhere
from eight to sixteen positive things to outweigh one negative remark. This holds true when we
talk to ourselves.

The truth is, each of us is unique and precious to God.

He paid the ultimate price to bring us back to Him. How can we denigrate what God esteems?
Think about how different your outlook might be if you spoke respectfully to yourself?

Join me today as I make the decision to watch my language.


Edie Melson is a woman with a passion to share what the love of God looks like in practical application. Her books reflect her heart to help others hear from God and find His path for their lives.

She’s penned numerous titles, including While My Soldier Serves, Prayers for Those with Loved Ones in the Military and coming this summer, While My Child is Away, Prayers for
When Were Apart. She’s also the military family blogger at Guideposts.org. Her popular blog or writers, The Write Conversation, reaches thousands each month. She’s the Director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference and the Social Media Director for Southern Writers Magazine. Connect on Twitter and Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Edie, this is such a common battle God's girls face! Thank you for the reminder that we are loved and valued by the Creator of the Universe - we are daughters of the King.

    ReplyDelete