Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Cup of Cold Water and a Hot Meal

Hi, I'm Mary Denman, guest posting for Jamie today! 


Recently, I had major surgery on my right shoulder. Yes, I’m right-handed. My arm will be in a sling for eight weeks as I recuperate. Suddenly, I can no longer do simple things around the house. Things like vacuuming, cleaning, or getting myself ready in the morning. I need help. A lot of help.

My husband has taken care of so much for me over the weekend and I appreciate him greatly. But he has to return to work soon. I must now rely on my children and others for help. So, hubby sat down with our kids and explained that I’ll need their assistance throughout the coming days. They’ll need to get me food, help me down the stairs, stay on top of their chores.

He then mentioned verses in Matthew 10 and 25 about giving a cup of cold water or drink in Jesus’ name. Jesus said that if you do this to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me. Hubby is trying to teach them to look beyond themselves. To serve me during this time that I’m incapacitated. And to serve me because of their love for Jesus.

I’ve also asked for meals to be provided by my church. The lady who runs that ministry said it was a small thing the church could do. Not in my eyes. Having meals provided for my family is a huge blessing.

Sometimes though, we think that doing great things for Jesus is the only way to be a blessing or be blessed. Like donating a car to a ministry, or volunteering 10 hours a week for a year. While both of these can absolutely minister to others, we forget that giving a cup of cold water in Jesus’ name is just as important. Smaller acts of service and love can minister in ways we can't imagine. It would be super cool if someone gave my family a car. But that’s not where our need is. Dropping off a warm, homemade meal? In our current circumstances, the hot meal is a bigger blessing!

It’s easy to get wrapped up in the busyness of our own lives and not see the importance of meeting the needs of those around us.  Those who gave a drink or food to a stranger didn’t even understand at the time that they were serving Jesus.

Realize that you can serve Jesus today. Almost immediately, with the next person you meet. Ask Him to show how to give a cup of cold water or hot meal in his name. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Mary! I'm glad to hear you're recovering well from surgery. Rotator cuffs take a long time to heal, so I'm praying things progress smoothly and quickly!

    I was incapacitated for several weeks after 2 surgeries and I was SO grateful for the meals! I also loved getting cards. They were a real bright spot in my day.

    Hoping today brings bright spots for you!
    (And you too, Jamie!)
    Hugs to you both,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I TOTALLY agree with the offer of meals, especially with children. Glad to hear you're doing well, even though the recovery will be long. But this, too, shall pass.

    Thanks, Jamie, for having Mary on your blog!

    ReplyDelete